[Lexicog] Re: Audio device for field language data collection

Joan Baart Joan_Baart at SIL.ORG
Mon Sep 13 15:03:19 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I know of several studies that address the concern that audio compression
algorithms may distort the audio signal in a way that makes it less useable
for acoustic analysis of speech. An example of such a study is Van Son
(2002). Van Son observed in his experiments (looking at variables that are
typically of interest to phoneticians) that the distortion caused by
compression and subsequent decompression of speech (he looked at MP3, Ogg
Vorbis and Minidisc) is not greater (and generally much smaller) than that
caused by a change of microphone. Choice of (good-quality) microphone varies
widely between projects and is usually not seen as a problem. Van Son's
conclusion is, therefore, that decompressed speech can be considered
acceptable for most acoustic phonetic applications. See:

http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/rob/Publications/CoCOSDA2002paper.pdf

and also:

http://www3.uji.es/~gonzalez/J%20Voice.pdf

It has been two years since I needed to look into this subject. If anybody
is aware of more recent work that perhaps changes the picture, then I would
be interested.

Joan