[Lexicog] Keyboard Layout Creator and .NET Framework

Troy_C_Moore at SIL.ORG Troy_C_Moore at SIL.ORG
Thu Sep 16 19:34:52 UTC 2004

In the past I have been using a third party program (Keyman) to write
special Central African orthographies in Word, PageMaker, Shoebox, etc.
But third party programs have their drawbacks, and since Unicode fonts are
becoming more common, I am hoping to use only those keyboards that Windows
has or that I can customise with free Microsoft software.

The US International keyboard is a good example of what Windows can do and
is perfect for my English and French documents and probably is for many
other European languages too. The US International Keyboard is easy to
install (Control Panel, Regional Settings, Language [tab], Details
[button]). Of course, you can have more than one keyboard installed and
then switch between them at anytime. Therefore, my hope is to create my
own custom keyboards and install these as well.

You need to download Microsoft's "Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator." But
to run this program, you some of their development software, also free,
namely, "Microsoft .NET Framework SDK v1.1."  Keyboard Layout Creator is
presently running on my machine, but I have not yet had the time to finish
developing a keyboard (maybe I should be doing that instead of writing
this email !!?).

But the initial "feel" of the program gives me the impression that this
software will be pretty straightforward. I plan to develop keyboards for
three languages -- I will keep anyone who is interested posted.

Peace to you and yours, Troy C. Moore

"Benjamin J  Barrett" <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>
14/09/2004 18:18
Please respond to lexicographylist