[Lexicog] RE: Query re keyboard re-mapping

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Mon Sep 20 22:46:09 UTC 2004

On 20/09/2004 20:41, Koontz John E wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Peter Kirk wrote:
>

>>Out of the box, in Office 2003 only. But if you do something not
>>recommended by Microsoft, copying usp10.dll from the Office directory,
>>you can I think get it to work with other Windows (2000/XP only)
>>applications.
>>

>So, for example, it wouldn't work with an arbitrary text editor or with
>Shoebox, etc.?

I think it would work if you copy usp10.dll from C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11 to the same folder as notepad.exe,
toolbox.exe or whatever - so that Notepad, Toolbox (not Shoebox as this
is a Unicode only feature) etc uses this usp10.dll rather than the older
version in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. But this is not guaranteed to work and
is not supported by Microsoft (nor by me!) Microsoft deliberately makes
it very hard to copy the newer version into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 to
replace the system version, probably for very good reasons such as that
it might break some programs.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)