[Lexicog] New Member question

Ralph Schraven Ralph.Schraven at ENTER-CONSULT.COM
Sat Sep 25 08:01:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm new to this list (and German native speaker - so please forgive
my English). Reason to join is that I found out that a good friend
of mine is working on a German-Catalan dictionary for more that 7
years - and is writing every single entry thoroughly formatted in MS
Word. Being a computer scientist (with a wife being a professional
translator) I thought that this has to be changed as soon as
possible. So I googled around and found Shoebox (Toolbox), which to
me seems to be a good start to convert things to electronic format
and continue work in Toolbox (which to me looks a bit old-fashioned
but seems to be a brilliant tool for experts - unfortunately not me
maybe). I do not fear to write a converter for his current flat file
data into any other format (and have him as a back-up to kill all
errors in his data we find on the way... and I'm more than willing
to learn a lot about lexicography!

But it is always wise to get professional advice and therefore I
checked if there is a newsgroup matching my topic.

So here are my questions:
1) Is Toolbox the tool to go for when starting this project
2) If so - are there demo dictionaries with a bit more practical
background than the ones provided with the program?

Best regards

Ralph

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM