[Lexicog] Who Said What?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Mon Sep 27 23:03:42 UTC 2004

On 27/09/2004 23:33, Koontz John E wrote:

>>The standards are clearly specified and have been for at least ten
>>years, at least in their basic structure and support for simple variants
>>of Latin script.  University systems really should have been upgraded to
>>support this by now, after ten years. But I realise that this can be
>>outside individual users' control.
>>

>Every once in a while someone comes around with a long lever and tries to
>pry me out of pine and into a web mail client, but I allowed myself to be
>pried into one of those by Microsoft at home - Hotmail, yech - and I've
>never stopped regretting it.  "Now fresh with even fewer, less powerful
>features and slower throughput, but illustrated in bright watercolors, and
>lavishly encrusted with lurid advertising!" ...

Well, that's a bit like saying that you will never drive a car because
you once tried a (insert your least favourite slow and unreliable brand
name) and didn't like it, so you will stick to a bicycle. There are
certainly much nicer web mail clients. Not that I like webmail, but
maybe you have no real choice.

>... I notice the Unviersity gave
>in and replaced the mail server that the pine users use with a much
>bigger, newer system recently.  Maybe they realized that the users weren't
>reading the handwriting on the wall.  Or were stubbornly ignoring it.
>
>I will give up my pine when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers, or
>offer me a copy of Eudora instead.  Actually, I expect pine will support
>Unicode eventually.  Heck, they just added mail filtering.

Well, pine may give you Unicode some time. Indeed, according to
http://www.suse.de/~bk/pine/FAQ.html there is a version which already
does so, at least in a limited way. But Eudora will never give you
Unicode, so don't go that way. I would recommend Mozilla, if that can
run on your system. But I guess it is up to "them".

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM