[Lexicog] Who Said What?

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Sep 27 23:51:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Peter Kirk wrote:
> Well, that's a bit like saying that you will never drive a car because
> you once tried a (insert your least favourite slow and unreliable brand
> name) and didn't like it, so you will stick to a bicycle. There are
> certainly much nicer web mail clients. Not that I like webmail, but
> maybe you have no real choice.

There's a chance I may be being stubborn.  Certainly, I was exagerating
for effect!  A good list of the features might be convincing enough.  It
wasn't offered in either case.  The one feature I did notice mentioned in
both cases was that once you converted you couldn't go back.  The first
time I trustfully took one step forward, but I've gradually learned to be
suspicious of things that are labelled in fine print "Warning.  This works
like a fish-trap."  Normally I'm an eager early adopter.  I do realize
that not taking a step forward may only mean that later one gets pushed.
Something else you come to notice about the world as you get older.

> Well, pine may give you Unicode some time. Indeed, according to
> http://www.suse.de/~bk/pine/FAQ.html there is a version which already
> does so, at least in a limited way. But Eudora will never give you
> Unicode, so don't go that way. I would recommend Mozilla, if that can
> run on your system. But I guess it is up to "them".

No, I can the mozilla mail clients on a Windows system, I think, so that
bit is up to me.  And mozilla is also available on the server platform -
Solaris, I think.

Why wouldn't Eudora give me Unicode (at some future date)?  Not that I was
insisting it did.  Just willing to trade pine for it or something like.
The web mail alternative wasn't advertising Unicode either, incidentally.

Say, have we perhaps wandered off the track?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM