[Lexicog] an English idiom

fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG
Tue Apr 19 15:37:08 UTC 2005

Clarification: The quote from Francis de Sales is an 1884 English
translation of a French work from Calvin's time.
The original French says "tout le reste demeurant abîmé dans la tristesse
et ennui"

The French dictionary I consulted says abîmer usually means to spoil or
damage, but it mentions an archaic or literary usage to descend or to be
immersed into something, which I think is the usage de Sales is using here.

So the 1884 translator modified [immersed in sadness and annoyance] to
'swallowed up in sorrow'.

But I think Kim's basic argument still holds if restated:

If "swallowed up in sorrow" has been used since Wesley's and Stevenson's
time, maybe it should be considered an idiom.

French version:
http://www.tradere.org/spirit/sales/amour/amourdedieu-136.htm#P2700_849652
English translation: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/desales/love.htm
(The reference in question comes in Book 9 chapter 5).

Steve White, Jaars language software support
704-843-6337, 1-800-215-7813

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM