[Lexicog] Dictionary of Oral Tibetan

Simon Wickham-Smith wickhamsmith at GMX.NET
Sun Aug 7 19:09:07 UTC 2005

hi - I am beginning to work, together with prof Per Sørensen of the
Central Asian Institute here in Leipzig, on an online Dictionary of Oral

Tibetan, designed primarily to record the diachronic and synchronic
usage of popular language - onomatapoeia, idioms, abusive and derogatroy

language, street slang, puns, riddles and proverbs - in the Tibetan
speaking area.

One of the main considerations of this project is that the language be
recognised as oral in provenance.  To this end, we're trying not to
privilege the written form in which most of the words and phrases have
been recorded thus far.  I was wondering whether anyone knew of any
other online dictionary which seeks to record oral language, since I
have been unable to find one.

If anyone is interested in this project and would like to know more,
please write directly to me.  Within the next few weeks, I hope to get a

page set up at the Tibet and Himalaya Digital Library project
(http://www.thdl.org) with, at first, a brief text describing the
project and its aims.  This should be finished within the next week and
I could send a copy to whomever asks.

With best wishes -

Simon Wickham-Smith
--