[Lexicog] Digest Number 405

Simon Wickham-Smith wickhamsmith at GMX.NET
Mon Aug 22 09:17:18 UTC 2005

>  The British "quid" seems to be
> used in the singular nowadays to my knowledge: 15 quid.

yes, generally so, Fritz, but the Brits also use the phrase "quids
in", meaning "in the money" or "flush".  I can't think of any other
usage of the plural form.

Another interesting bunch from the singular/plural standpoint is
diseases.

But I wonder whether the disease plurals are not perhaps false
plurals.  I've got diabetes, but a diabete would be some kind of
jokey usage (which of course, thinking about it, doesn't at all
invalidate it).  Although words like pox and mumps and measles are AS
in origin, maybe some kind of Graeco medicinal influence has crept in.

I noticed it on a sign saying "Tucson Tire Sales", where the plural
form indicates a
place where something is sold. Also, more abstractly, it can be used
as a field of work, as in "John is in accounting, Jim is in sales."

This is simply metonymy, I think, substituting the specific area of
work for the entire job or workplace.

Simon Wickham-Smith
---
Körnerstraße 1, 01407 Leipzig, Germany