[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Robert Hedinger robert_hedinger at SIL.ORG
Wed Aug 24 09:12:24 UTC 2005

I don't think before stops you can have a long/short or fortis/lenis contrast.

Robert
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fritz Goerling
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 1:27 AM
  Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

  For me they are identical in pronunciation in normal speech. Maybe an actor or someone
  who recites poetry might exaggerate and make the difference by hissing the double "s".
  Or someone who wants to emphasize the difference in this little saying might just put more
  stress on the "isst." Or there is a discussion where someone says "Man ist was man liest"
  (One is what one reads) to which someone more given to the pleasures of the palate might
  reply "Nein, man ist was man ISST" (No, one is what one eats).

  Fritz Goerling
    Fritz Goerling wrote:
    > the point of the little world-play is in the similar-sounding
    > "ist" (= is) and "isst" (= eats).

    Are they similar sounding, or identical?  If different, what is the
    difference?  (I vaguely recall my German prof claiming that they were
    pronounced differently, but not being able to hear any diff.  Of course,
    that was before my linguistics days.)
    --
          Mike Maxwell
          Linguistic Data Consortium