[Lexicog] Re: Changes in German usage

Miel Slager e.slager at WANADOO.NL
Wed Aug 24 15:14:13 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, August 24, 2005, 16:39:49, billposer at alum.mit.edu wrote:

>The Dutch version was actually 'Het is (streng) verboden het
>gras te betreden', later it probably was 'Niet op het gras lopen'

Am I correct in thinking that the change in what is prohibited
adds to the weakening of the prohibition? To me, the use of "betreden"
suggests the interpretation: "Don't you dare even step on it.", while
the use of "lopen" suggests "Don't stroll around on it. (Lightning will
not strike if you should happen to touch the grass.)".

It is true that 'betreden' is explicitly inchoative, like 'to step on', but in those days you could also find the slightly ridiculous prohibition 'Het is (streng) verboden zich op het gras te bevinden' (it's forbidden to be [situated/located] on the grass). The true difference every native speaker of Dutch will immediately see is that 'Niet op het gras lopen' is unmarked with respect to formality, or even a little bit informal, whereas the former phrases were very formal. And of course the formal phrases explicitly say 'it's forbidden', whereas the informal phrase at least opens the question why I shouldn't do it: because of the prohibition by some stupid authority or rather out of necessity, practical reasons, common sense, etc.

Miel Slager
url: http://home.wanadoo.nl/e.slager