[Lexicog] Humour, OTT completely

Orion Montoya gorion at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 26 02:08:12 UTC 2005

I've seen at least one episode of The Simpsons dubbed into Italian (I
Simpson).  I was quite impressed with the dubbing specifically because
of the accents:

- Apu (the south asian convenience store owner) had an accent that
mimicked the inflection that he's given by Dan Castallanetta in the
original.  I don't know if this is the authentic accent of a native
Hindi (?) speaker speaking Italian, but it's a very authentic
translation of the overall characterization

- The episode I remember also had James Woods as a guest; the Italian
dubber did the best James Woods impression I've ever heard -- all in
Italian.  This is not an accent thing, exactly, but it is an
indication that high-quality dubbing will take the time to do
(auditory) research and make as many cultural translations as possible
(like the Hogan's Heroes example).

Moreover, this eposode had several musical numbers, all impeccably
translated.  I understand I Simpson are fairly popular in Italy, and
I'm sure the quality of the dubbing should bear a lot of the credit
for this.

O.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM