[Lexicog] Turkey sayings

Nick Miller nick.miller at CZECH-TRANSLATION.COM
Tue Aug 30 10:59:28 UTC 2005

http://www.word-detective.com/back-p.html - Here's one explanation of 'cold
turkey' and 'talk turkey':

"Cold turkey" is actually based on another colloquial phrase, "to talk
turkey" (sometimes "to talk cold turkey"), meaning to face unpleasant truths
squarely."

The other common explanation of 'cold turkey' is that the skin of a person
coming off heroine resembles cold turkey in colour.

As for puns about "turkeys" I don't know any, but I did come across the
origin of "gobbledegook" - coined in 1944 by US lawyer Maury Maverick in
imitation of a turkey gobbling.

NM

---
avast! Antivirus: Odchozi zprava cista.
Virova databaze (VPS): 0534-4, 26.08.2005
Testovano: 30.8.2005 12:59:28
avast! (c) copyright 2000-2004 ALWIL Software.