[Lexicog] Turkey

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 31 16:28:34 UTC 2005

I think part of what's going on here is the preception of a language in
terms of its varieties. "Sort" and "sought" are slightly different somehow
even for speakers who pronounce them both identically because of an
awareness that for other speakers the two words are pronounced quite
differently, i.e., with a postvocalic rhotic r in "sort" and no
rhoticization in "sought", whether "sought" contains a postvocalic
shwa-glide or not.

As for Czech i/í and y/ý: According to my references, these letters
represent the same vowel phonemes (/i/ and /i:/) but signal palatalization
(before i, í) or lack of palatalization (before y, ý) of the preceding
consonant. Since consonant palatalization is quite salient in Czech, the
homophony of the vowels shouldn't be expected to be much of a source of
verbal play.

--Ken

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM