[Lexicog] Issues regarding a free dictionary

billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 8 02:34:59 UTC 2005

Arun writes:

>> I am only learning visual basic; but that is the
>> platform I am thinking of developing it for now.

I would advise against using Visual Basic. Leaving aside
the fact that it arguably isn't a good programming language,
if you use Visual Basic, your dictionary will run only
on Microsoft Windows systems, which are by no means the only
computers in the world. Furthermore, Microsoft itself has
abandoned support for Visual Basic. I suggest something
available cross-platform and with a future, e.g. Tcl/Tk or
Python (with Tkinter or one of several other graphics packages).
If you're really hard-core about object orientation a similar
choice would be Ruby.

If I don't mention it, I know somebody will suggest Perl.
Yes, you could use it, but the code tends to be unreadable,
so I don't recommend it.

Bill

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM