[Lexicog] Issues regarding a free dictionary

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at YAHOO.IT
Thu Dec 8 14:22:16 UTC 2005

Hi Arun,

I took some days to answer since there are some developments going on
right now - so sometimes take a day more makes sense. Sorry for letting
you wait.

So I will write inbetween your lines.

>Once my software goes public, people have the freedom
>to make dictionaries and distribute it.

This can be done with Ultimate Wiktionary. It will, at a certain stage,
allow for download in different formats - .dict and .tbx for example.
For TBX format we are in contact with Lisa (http://www.lisa.org).

>Once you allow
>that how do you stop people from making "corrupt"
>dictionaries? I am not saying that people will
>intentionally corrupt dictionaries. They can do it by
>mistake. People have their own way of defining
>meanings for words. Sometimes their definitions can
>convey another (totally different) sense. How can you
>stop this? How do you stop people from multiplicating
>'senses'?

Really this is a problem all acutal wiktionaries have and we cope quite
well with it. Of course, no dictionary is perfect, but working in groups
and checking new entries before adding own things (that are then checked
by others) helps to avoid the mayor part of problems. Within Ultimate
Wiktionary we will have a validation feature - this means that a term
will have three levels of "validity". When you enter a new term it gets
validity one - then there are two checkboxes and these are used to
attribute validity two and three to a term - this means that besides the
person who inserted the lemma other two will need to agree to what was
inserted - of course even this can be reviewed if someone comes and says
that all three people were wrong (it could happen) - so that is then the
case to discuss the problem.

>Currently, one solution I thought of was, there should
>be one world wide agency that maintains its own
>database. In case people receive corrrupted
>dictionaries from other people, or they corrupt their
>own dictionary, they can always get reliable
>dictionaries from that place. So in order to be
>effective they should provide a service like hosting
>message boards or discussion groups open to the
>public. Someone like me can post a question out there
>asking if a particular version of defining is okay! I
>hope you got the point.

Ultimate Wiktionary, like Wikipedia or better all Wikimedia projects
will have its discussion list, the discussion pages for every single
term, a bar (on the Wiki) where to talk about things. So: problems will
be solved (well really problems are there to be solved :-).

Like said above: downloads will be possible. Besides the possibility for
downloads we are also planning a reference implementation for
CAT-Software (Computer Assisted Translation) that will be, for example,
part of OmegaT (http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html) and other free
software. I could also imagine to adapt it to other software like
OpenOffice.org etc.

What this reference implementation does basically is giving a direct
access to Ultimate Wiktionary. Translators using the CAT-Software will
be able to retrieve data from UW and also add new terminology during
their translation process. Of course it should also be possible to work
offline.

>Moreover, talking about the software; I plan to
>publish how things are coded into the database. So if
>you want you can use that database for another
>program, say for e.g. a spell checker for your own
>word precessor. Also the code and ideas behind this
>software will be accessible to all. So once that is
>out, why don't you develop this software for a linux
>system?! The idea is out, right?

Well: this sofware is already under development - it is Open Source and
it would be wonderful to have more and more people working on it - in
terms of ideas and in terms of programming. It seems as if you have
really great ideas :-)

So why not try to get things together?

Btw.: we are also foreseeing the possibility to create spellcheckers :-)

>Just wait for my second blog (part 2) where i'll make
>things more clear.
>
>This is a small idea compared to the wiki project. I
>would not like boasting out that much. :-)

No, that is not a small idea - I suppose your ideas could well integrate
what we already have/what others already do and working together would
make much sense.

You can find articles on Ultimate Wiktionary, the database design etc. here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiktionary

See, everything started "small" and then became big. One and half a year
ago the Italian wiktionary had 158 words - now it has over 35.000 -
nobody can do something like this alone - it is group work that enables
us to achieve really huge goals. Ultimate Wiktionary started with a
similar idea like yours - then we talked to people - many people - and
bit by bit our requirements grew, we wanted to make sure that it becomes
useable for almost anyone. Today we are in contact with universities.
Many might think that "single people" don't count too much - to my
opinion that's not true - single people, if really committed to an idea
and and ideal can achieve a lot.

You are doing and this means you want to achieve. Well: let's achieve
things together :-)

On the end of November a gave a presentation about "From Wikipedia to
Ultimate Wiktionary" and "OpenOffice.org and OmegaT" - it was created
for translators, but maybe it can be useful for a fast overview. Here
are the links where you can download it in pdf format:
Ultimate Wiktionary:
http://www.wesolveitnet.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=9&lid=37
OmegaT/OOo:
http://www.wesolveitnet.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=38

Please don't hesitate to ask any question you have in mind - things
often seem so normal to me, since I am working on it daily.

Thank you!!!

Best wishes,

Sabine

*****