[Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Doug Trick doug_trick at SIL.ORG
Wed Feb 23 02:10:19 UTC 2005

That's great, Fritz!  I'll keep this one for when I'm teaching lexicography
or sociolinguistics.

Doug
-----Original Message-----
From: Fritz Goerling [mailto:Fritz_Goerling at sil.org]
Sent: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 7:57 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] stereotypical beliefs and lexicography

Have you heard the following "heaven"and "hell" joke?

In Heaven:
The cooks are French,
The policemen are English,
The organizers are German,
The lovers are Italian,
The bankers are Swiss.
In Hell:
The cooks are English,
The policemen are German,
The organizers are French,
The lovers are Swiss,
The bankers are Italian.

Fritz Goerling

Miroslava Nikolova wrote:

Much has been said about expressions involving the
names of different nationalities and having a more or
less negative connotation. What about expressions of
the kind having a positive connotation. In Bulgarian,
for example, there is the expression "angliiska
tochnost" (English punctuality) obviously referring to
the fact that the English have a reputation for being
on the dot.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM