[Lexicog] Re: Lexique Pro file from scratch

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Thu Jan 6 14:40:44 UTC 2005

Wayne --

It sounds like Phil is saying that he has resisted using Shoebox/Toolbox up
to now, but having seen Lexique Pro he wants to know if he has to take the
plunge and learn how to use one of these in order to be able to take
advantage of Lexique Pro. It looks like the answer is, basically, "yes". See
the first question and answer under http://www.lexiquepro.com/faq.htm.
However, if you understand how "standard format" field markers are used by
Shoebox for dictionary data, you wouldn't absolutely have to use Shoebox to
put your data into the right format. You could do it in a simple plain text
editor. That's how it was done in the olden days. But I wouldn't recommend
it. For a small amount of data, that would be fine, but for a whole
dictionary, it would be much more practical to learn how to use Shoebox.

I haven't downloaded Lexique Pro yet, but from looking at the FAQ page, it
looks like Lexique Pro can adapt itself to a different set of field codes
you might use. I imagine it would still need to see something like a
backslash code or some other kind of distinctive code at the beginning of
each field. The point is that you have to have your data in some kind of
database, and I'm sure that no matter what kind of database format you are
using, there would be a reasonable way to convert it into a form that
Lexique Pro can use. For an advanced computer user, converting from one
database format to another shouldn't be a big deal. The question is what
kind of database program Phil would like to use for entering and editing
dictionary data. Shoebox/Toolbox would be the default for using Lexique Pro,
but probably anything could be used with only a little more difficulty.
Anything, that is, other than typing formatted dictionary entries directly
into MS Word. But even then, a script could possibly be written that could
convert formatted dictionary entries into a database format, such as
standard format code. I wouldn't want to have to go that route too often,
though.

-- David Frank