[Lexicog] French negatives

fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG
Mon Jan 31 14:50:06 UTC 2005

Peter, your example of "personne" being used as a negative when the
dictionary lists it as ambiguous makes sense. I can remember being
bewildered by a sign on a bakery door "Plus de pain".  It was obvious from
the pragmatic context the sign meant "no more bread" rather than "more
bread", but I was baffled by this usage which didn't seem to fit the
dictionary.

Steve White, Jaars language software support
704-843-6337, 1-800-215-7813

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM