[Lexicog] Re: Frequency counts as lexicographic measure

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Thu Jun 9 21:12:53 UTC 2005

Dear John,

You probably heard the term "purist" in the linguistic sense. It is
about the people who try to keep with traditional forms of the language
which other people who subscribe to the current patterns call
antiquated or archaic.

The natural development of a language proceeds not always
as some intellectuals wish.

Best wishes,
Hayim

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Roberts
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 1:54 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Re: Frequency counts as lexicographic measure

Re. "orientate", it has been a part of British English since the 19th
century and presumably it was "back-formated" from "orientation". In
fact,
it was the only version I knew until I heard Americans say "orient". The

first time I heard this I thought, "Why do Americans always mess up the
English language?" That was many years ago. Now I know we all "mess it
up".

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM