[Lexicog] Re: "orientate" (was Frequency ...)

fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG fieldworks_support at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 10 14:26:31 UTC 2005

"In terms of articulatory phonetics, I'm saying all of this with an
intermolar lateral."

Now what's the IPA symbol for that?

Steve White, Jaars language software support
704-843-6337, 1-800-215-7813

             Mike Maxwell
             <maxwell at ldc.upen
             n.edu>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
             lexicographylist@                                          cc
             yahoogroups.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Lexicog]  Re: "orientate" (was
             06/10/2005 09:52          Frequency ...)
             AM

             Please respond to
             lexicographylist@
              yahoogroups.com

John Roberts wrote:
> Mike seemed to be suggesting that this was a recent
> "corruption" of the English language.

Indeed I did.  Again, to quote that famous linguist Henry Higgins, "Why
can't the English learn to speak?"  (And of course the correct form,
'orient', pre-dates the incorrect form 'orientate' by at least a hundred
years, according to the OED citations posted here.)

--
             Mike Maxwell
             Linguistic Data Consortium
             maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu