[Lexicog] Origin and synonyms of "wimp"

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Sat Jun 25 16:31:33 UTC 2005

Phonosemantics indeed.

Interestingly, in Orizaba Nawatl the phoneme w shows signs of splitting
into w and v (fricative bilabial). v has been, for centuries and in
various dialects, an adherent of the w phoneme, sometimes as a
phonologically conditioned allomorph, sometimes socially conditioned,
e.g. in women's as opposed to men's speech, sometimes fluctuating in
various environments. Anyhow, in some Orizaba towns, the split seems to
be developing along such lines that a form with w is "bigger" or
"stronger", whereas the variant with "v" is the small, veak, vimpy vun.
E.g. kuavitl = stick, kuawitl = tree, mokokova "be uncomfortable/sick",
mokokowa "be seriously ill, injure yourself" cf. nechkokowa "he/it
hurts/wounds me" and nechkokova "it bothers/hurts me."

Note also in English the big bang bust blow (up) blast blistering
blaring set of violent sounds or other processes, along with softer
words like baby, bubble, blow (gently), balloon, bathe.

If (and of course it's a big if, though I think there's something in it)
phonosemantics ties in, somehow and sometimes, to "natural" or iconic
meaning connections, some sounds are likely ambivalent, and position in
a word is likely to be relevant. And a sound that gets associated with a
meaning in one language may well be associated with a different one in
another language. Yet there seems to be enough beyond-chance
correspondence that some "natural" sorting must be at work.

The phenomenon is a fascinating one, anyway. It is so hard to pin down,
which is part of why it's so interesting.

--David Tuggy