[Lexicog] accusatory observation?

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BLUEFELTHAT.ORG
Tue Mar 8 16:21:24 UTC 2005

I only know English; however, it seems to me there is some subtle
assumptions going on with your question and the original observation.

Might I suggest (politely...<chuckle>) that there is more than one
dimension; one could probably even argue there is a network of nodes to
consider.

Other languages, obviously, can be just as accusatory; however, the
difference between them and English is in how obvious it is to the
hearer.  Other languages make it obvious. For an English culture, there
must be more cognitive processing in order to determine the level of
accusation.  So we not only have to consider the actual words, but we
also have to consider the cognitive effort.

What I think this ends up meaning is that English and German cultures
are not inherently more accusatory.  However, that is not to say we
don't learn something about the cultures.  It appears that the people of
English and German cultures require more cognitive effort to distinguish
when something is accusatory and when it isn't.  That's an interesting
cognitive linguistic observation.

A related question to your own is to ask other cultures what proportion
of their emails are responses quelling the reaction to an assumed
accusatory email.  That might take some work, but it's measurable.
Trust me on this <forced laugh>, speaking as a co-moderator of an email
list primarily using the English language, we face the misunderstandings
ALL THE TIME.  Well, not ALL the time; but...well, you get the picture.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey AT BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM