[Lexicog] Re: Pejorative suffixes

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 30 06:31:09 UTC 2005

	As frequently noted in the discussion of -ISH, it is of Germanic
origin. In Scandinavian languages, it retains the original pronunciation
-(I)SK, as in the Danish word for English, which is engelsk. Especially
given the Danish invasion of eastern England (the Danelaw) and Norse
incursions in the north, it would be appropriate to look at the use of
this suffix especially in Danish, to see if any of the variation in
meaning can be attributed to Danish influence on the original English use,
or whether the variety of uses is something that reconstructs to Proto-
Germanic, or may also involve any particularly English innovations.

	Rudy Troike

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM