[Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes: DOG

Nick Miller nick.miller at CZECH-TRANSLATION.COM
Thu Mar 31 13:25:43 UTC 2005

In English we do say 'You dog' for example, when expressing wonder at
someone's sexual prowess or that we appreciate them or something they've
done (I guess it's a man thing).
Generally, it's negative though: 'it's gone to the dogs' (go bad, wrong),
'It's a dog's life', 'lapdog' (servile person) etc.

As for Czech, people say 'z'ivot je pes' meaning 'life's a dog' - i.e.
'life's a bitch'. 'Pes' ('dog') can mean a cruel person and if something is
'pod psa' ('under the dog') it means it's bad.
Of course, 'cats' are different bundle of fur - a 'koc'ka' ('cat') in Czech
is a 'sexy woman'.

By the way a Great Dane is called a 'doga' in Czech, derived from the
English word.
Nick Miller

---
avast! Antivirus: Odchozi zprava cista.
Virova databaze (VPS): 0513-1, 30.03.2005
Testovano: 31.3.2005 15:25:44
avast! (c) copyright 2000-2004 ALWIL Software.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM