[Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes (more-ish)

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 30 17:59:46 UTC 2005

Peter Kirk wrote:

> I also thought of the phrase "Bully for you". And searching for this I
> came across
> http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/20/messages/1090.html, which
> sheds some extra light on the subject.

In the NODE "bully for" is listed as an expression of admiration or approval
under "bully"2, an adjective (mainly N. American) meaning 'very good,
first-rate'. ORIGIN late 16th cent. (originally used of a person meaning
'admirable, gallant, jolly') from "bully"1. The current sense dates from the
mid 19th cent.

I believe all the "bully"s have now been accounted for and we still haven't
found the bull.

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM