[Lexicog] marking semantic domain subcategories

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Sun May 8 09:32:58 UTC 2005

Hi Wayne,

Yes, you can display a category as subordinate to another in Lexique Pro.
An example of this is in the Bambara sample that comes with the program.
To set up categories in your own dictionary to work this way, you don't
need to edit anything in the dictionary file itself.  All that's needed in
the dictionary file is what you already have - just \sd fields with a
unique code or name for each basic category.  The definition of
subcategories is all in the configuration file.  This is edited as follows:

- Start up Lexique Pro and load your dictionary
- On the menu bar, go to Tools; Configure Lexicon
- Press "Next" 12 times to get to the configuration of Categories
- Select the "Category Names" tab
- With the mouse, click on the category that you'd like to define as a
sub-category (horse), and drag it onto the one that is to become its parent
category (animals).  When you release the mouse button, check to see that
the display has reconnected it as a subcategory of the right thing.

You can also change the display names for the categories, if you have codes
that you don't want to display as is:

- Select the category whose name you'd like to display differently
- click on "Change"
- Enter the desired English name

When you're done configuring the Categories, press "Next" 5 more times to
return to your dictionary and see how it has changed the Lexique Pro
Categories view.

Out of curiosity, I tried creating a subcategory of a subcategory to see if
this could be done - but it crashed the program. Apparently one level of
subcategories is all that's currently supported (version 2.2).

Allan