[Lexicog] IPA on web pages

William J Poser billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed May 18 03:30:28 UTC 2005

I use IPA on web pages all the time. It isn't difficult.
By far the most portable approach is to use HTML numeric
character entities. That way, the characters on the page
are plain ASCII, but these sequences will be interpreted
as Unicode characters by browsers. You can also use another
encoding (Unicode, or something else that includes the IPA
characters) directly on your pages, but that is less portable
because some software is not 8-bit safe.

Numeric character entities look like this: b
All numeric character entities begin with &# and end with
a semi-colon. The x after the cross-hatch indicates that
the following number is hexadecimal. The digits are the
hex Unicode codepoint for the character you want. 0062 is
the code for "b", which of course doesn't need to be encoded
this way.

The question then becomes how you generate these, since
doing it by hand quickly becomes tedious. A lot depends on
what kind of software you use. In my case, I use any of a
variety of programs that produce files in Unicode, then
just run them through a little script that translates the
Unicode into numeric character entities. If you want it
(it's a little Python script) it is here:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wjposer/uni2html.html

Bill

--
Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer at alum.mit.edu

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM