[Lexicog] unlex-entries

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Wed May 18 16:25:28 UTC 2005

Yes, it's in computer-readable form, but these examples are interspersed
with going on 10K others. The collection started with idiom blends and
other phrasal blends. If any of you particularly wants it I can probably
share it.

(fwiw I'm doing a book to showcase the collection: I'll include a couple
of relevant paragraphs at the bottom of this missive. *All* the goofs
are real ones. The adverb "rudiclously" is one of my own making, of
which I am inordinately proud. It can be seen as a self-spoonerism on
"ludicrously", or a blend of that with "ridiculously", and it certainly
embodies its own meaning.)

Yes, "un-" is quite certainly acquiring a family of related meanings
some of which, if teased out properly, would help explain (but not
—never!— explain away) these beautiful structures.

--David T

Mike Maxwell wrote:

> David Tuggy wrote:
> > It's part of a family of families of interesting structures. E.g. "That
> > was the day I unyanked the television from the wall". I also have
> > collected usages of unfrayed, unfrazzle, unpeel, unrace, utterable,
> > unshovel; de-empty, dethaw, unthawed, unfrosted, unopen, unstraighten,
> > and (probably) others where words, many with a negative prefix like
> > "un-", wind up meaning the opposite of what you would have thought.
> Some
> > of these I have had multiple-y attested, and some seem standard for
> some
> > speakers. Standard for my wife, for instance, is the construction
> > exemplified in "I have really missed not seeing you." To me that would
> > only be appropriate when we have been together more than I wish.
> >
> > Anyway, it's a fascinating can of worms to swim in. Some day I'll
> > probably write a paper...if I get lucky.
>
> Sounds fascinating...is your collection in computer-readable form? Is
> it possible that un- has taken up an adversative sense? Something like
> an Unfortunate Series of Coincidences...
> --
> Mike Maxwell
> Linguistic Data Consortium
> maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu