[Lexicog] Sort order in Lexique Pro

jamatra9 jamatra at PACBELL.NET
Sun Nov 27 18:42:02 UTC 2005

Hi Lexique Pro users,

The discussion of sort order in Lexique Pro seems to have passed, but
I just saw it and here's a belated addition.

I've used FileMaker and Excel for the database, and they don't let you
specify the sort order for special symbols -- to the best of my knowledge.

I maintain a special sort field that I called \key in addition to the
regular \lx and \se fields which the user sees.  This gets around the
need for any special application or applet to accomplish the sort,
along with any potential programming headaches.  It also works in ToolBox.

I'm working with Inezeño Chumash, which uses several special symbols.
 Digraphs instead of special characters in the \key field accomplish
the sort, as in

\key c  \lx c
\key cz  \lx č, C-wedge

\key s  \lx s
\key sz  \lx š, S-wedge

For a tone language, one could use a vowel plus number as the digraph:

\key a1  \lx á -- A acute
\key a2  \lx à -- A grave
\key a3  \lx â -- A circumflex

and so on.

This technique also works to create subentries which don't follow the
regular sort order.  For example, under

\lx sipit  \ge to make acorn mush

I want to show the derivative

\se šipitiš  \ge acorn mush

The two \key fields for these entries are:

\key sipit  \lx sipit  \ge to make acorn mush
\key sipit -isz  \se šipitiš  \ge acorn mush

The following entry would \lx siq \ge to be tight, but \se šipitiš as
a subentry automatically comes before \lx siq -- because it's an \se
under \lx sipit, of course, but also because \key sipit -isz will
always come before \key siq.

There's also an \lx entry for šipitiš in its own right, but that's
another story.

To generate the desired output in Lexique Pro, sort by \key but don't
export this field.  The first field for each entry and subentry in the
Lexique Pro text file will be \lx or \se.  As long as you specify that
Lexique Pro keeps the original sort, the entries show up in the order
you want.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Regards, Richard Applegate

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM