[Lexicog] Derogatory (?) endings

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu Sep 1 22:18:45 UTC 2005

Thanks again, Wayne,

Did you overlook the :-) after my questions? Maybe ;-^)would have been
better. Or I should have said
"I say this with an intermolar lateral."

Fritz

  "governess" would only be used for a female nanny (hmm, female nanny; I
wonder if we would refer to the males who do this job as male nannies?), not
a woman who governs a geographical area and its people.  "mistress" is
frequently used, but with a very different meaning. I assume you have heard
it used by contemporary English speakers. It refers to a woman that a man
has on the side, besides his wife.

  Diane Feinstein could have been the governor of California. Women
governors are just called governors.

  Wayne Leman
    Wayne,

    Well, not all words with -ess attached are the same.
    How about "governess" or "mistress"? Are they also on the way out? :-)
    (Of course, one would not say "Diane Feinstein was the governess of
California.")
    How about a gender-inclusive word "gov?"

    Thanks for your good explanation.

    Fritz

    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.