[Lexicog] honorific horse

Simon Wickham-Smith wickhamsmith at GMX.NET
Sat Sep 10 16:49:22 UTC 2005

hi David -

On 10 Sep 2005, at 17:57, lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com wrote:
> Interesting. I hadn't heard about horses being part of a verb to go.
> Makes plenty of sense, though. And even of a verb meaning be! Is it an
> honorific be?

you know, my Mongolian is pretty rusty and I can't be 100% sure
whether it's honorific.  Mongolian doesn't I think have much
honorific vocabulary in the sense that Japanese or Tibetan does (can
anyone out there clarify Altaic/Turkic honorifics, please...?) but I
would say that morilox is used for esteemed persons.  But the
Mongolian level of equiphilia is so intense that maybe it's a
generalised word.  Unlike Tibetan, for sure, there is no
differentiation between different people's horses - I have a mori and
the Dalai Lama also has a mori.

Si
---
Körnerstraße 1, 01407 Leipzig, Germany