[Lexicog] honorific horse

Patrick Chew patchew at BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Sep 10 20:41:53 UTC 2005

Simon:

	Here's the skinny on  /morilo-x/.

(I'm ad-hoc marking transcribed modern Khalkha Mongolian with //, the
modern Cyrillic with <>, and Classical/Written Mongolian with *. I've
tried to  mark morpheme boundaries when relevant.)

/morilo-kh/ <морил-ох>(*morila-qu)
	1. to mount a horse (obsolete)
	2. to leave or set out for (honorific)
	3. to die (honorific)
	4. imperfect converb used with certain other verbs as a polite imperative

(As far as I could tell, no semantics of being or being at, c.f. /bol/
and /bai-kh/.)

"normal, non-honorific" instantiations:
	1. to ride a horse (go by horse):
		a. /mor' una-kh/ <морь уна-х> (*mori unu-qu)
			lit. horse be-astride
		b. /morior yav-akh/ <мориор ява-х> (*mori iyer yabu-qu)
			lit. by-horse go
	2. to leave or set out for:
		a. gar-akh <гар-ах> (*Gar-qu)
	3. to die:
		a. /ükhe-kh/ <үхэ-х> (*üke-kü)
	4. polite imperative/request:
		/[verb]-(G)AArAi/ <~(г)аарай/ ~(г)ээрэй/ ~(г)оорой/ ~(г)өөрэй>
(*~-ğarai/*-gerei)

	Definitely,your statement about Mongolian honorifics not being as
pervasive as in Japanese (and Korean) or Tibetan is valid. From  what I
can also dredge up from my rusty memory, a large amount of Mongolian
honorifics centers around religious items/activities and somewhat
toitems/events that would have arisen between the aristocracy and the
commonfolk, i.e. the use of /morilo-kh/ as the verb for "to set
out/leave", instead of /gar-akh/, if the subject were a /noyon/ ("prince").

	Definitely there are levels of politeness built into the verbal
morphology, but nowhere near as extensive as in Japanese or Korean, i.e.
Mongolian imperatives have three levels of politeness only:
	1. abrupt ([verbstem]-0)
	2. mild([verbstem]-(g/i)AAch)
	3. softened ([verbstem]-(g)AArAi)
I can't quite recall any examples of honorific/humble register
differenced lexical replacement in Mongolian, like found in Tibetan,
Japanese, and Korean.SO, definitely, a prince still has  a /mor'/
	The only overt 'honorific' marker that comes to mind parallels the
Japanese <-san/-sama> and Korean <-nim> in certain cases: /-guai/
<-гуай>, e.g. /Baatar-guai/ (esteemed/Mr. Baatar), /lam(ba)-guai/ (lama
with honorific), etc.

	As for the Turkic langauges, other than using a more Arabo-Persian
register of vocabulary (akin to the English use of
Latin/Greek/Norman-based vocabulary for higher registered items), there
is very little in the way of honorifics that I can recall. The only
concrete examples that I can point to is the distinctions for second
person, i.e. use of "plural" form to indicate politeness, c.f. German
<Sie>, etc., and a very restricted use of the plural morpheme in the
Qarluq/Karluk Turkic languages (Uzbek, Uyghur...) where the
non-canonical placement of the plural *after* any possessive marking of
a close family member of older stature (father, mother, grandparents,
uncles, aunts, etc.) marks some honorific semantics, e.g. bâbâ-m-lär
(grandfather-Px(1ps)-Pl/Hon) 'my esteemed grandfather' vs. bâbâ-lär-im
(grandfather-Pl-Px(1ps)) 'my grandfathers'.

	Getting back to /morilo-x/, looking at the morphology of the verb
itself shows that it's of a *very* early strate of the language, since
it uses the rather ossified -la- denominal verbalizing particle attached
to the noun *mori "horse". The use of this verbalizing particle is still
productive/prevalent/prominent in Turkic languages, e.g. söz (word) >
söz-lä- (to speak), ish (work) > ish-lä- (to work), etc., and can be
found with diminished scope in verbs found in Tungusic languages,
primarily Manju, with the same cognate being used as *the* word for 'to
ride a horse' - /mori-la-mbi/.

	Hope this helps.

cheers,
-Patrick