[Lexicog] Functions of "go" in English

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sun Sep 11 21:21:14 UTC 2005

Si,

It seems to me you refer to uses in English like the following:
They say "Tom, shut up" and I go "No, you shut up ..."
You are right, that is not possible in German. I have never heard it in
French either.

Fritz

  Re, like, the idea of "go" meaning "say", could anyone out there confirm
that one can use aller in French for to say - ie <et il va, "je vais chez
moi">.  It's not possible I think in German (er geht, "ich gehe nach
Hause"?).

  Si
  ---
  Körnerstraße 1, 01407 Leipzig, Germany