[Lexicog] blessing

Simon Wickham-Smith wickhamsmith at GMX.NET
Wed Sep 21 16:22:27 UTC 2005

hi - I think that "blessing" is a later version of "blissing",
although I have no citations to show this.  The link between the
Romance idea of wounding (cf Fr la la blessure) and blessing also
seems significant.

I think that the verbal (dicere) part of benediction is the reason
why the bookheavy Christians seek to emphasise this translation.  It
was no surprise to me, as a semilapsed Cahtholic Buddhist, that
Benedikt, who was previously head of what used to be the Holy
Inquistition, and who is a fine scholar too, chose such a name.

In Tibetan we have a big postHippy problem in translating the
spiritual language into English.  The word which is translated by
blessing, sbyin rlabs (pron "chin lap") means literally "waves
[rlabs] of gifts [sbyin]".  the word for empowerment (ie the
transmission of these spiritual gifts, in the form of a religious
practise, by a lama to a student) is called a dbang (pron "wang" -
sinologists take note!), translated variously as "empowerment, power
- both religious and secular &c".

The modern Tibetan adjective sbyin rlabs can (pron "chin lap chen)
has the meaning "generous, charitable", which is clear from the
Tibetan etymology but shows up some of the difficulties translating
(in all respects) the ideas of one culture into another.

Returning briefly to the western classics, the differences between
eulogy and benediction are also interesting.  Eulogies are generally
secular, I think, while benediction is almost exclusively religious -
significant cultural differentiation perhaps between the (pre)modern
ideas of the Greeks and the Romans.

Si
---
Körnerstraße 1, 01407 Leipzig, Germany