[Lexicog] Re: lexical phrase

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Dec 6 19:41:06 UTC 2006

David,

I find myself agreeing with almost everything you say. Rather than rehash
where we agree, let me address the one place where it appears that we
disagree—our interpretation of ‘on the other hand’.

If I say to a woman, “I like your ring,” and she replies, “The diamond was
my grandmother’s,” I might say something like, “No, I meant the pearl ring
on your other hand.” I would consider the prepositional phrase “on your
other hand” to be non-idiomatic. By this I mean that it is not an idiom or
what I call a lexical phrase. It can be understood literally and the meaning
is the sum of the parts. It refers to a literal hand. ‘On’ is indicating
location. ‘Your’ has a referent in the context. ‘Other’ is being used to
contrast a previous use of ‘hand’ which referred to a hand other than the
one I am referring to.

But when I say, “We have good reason to feel pleased with our progress. On
the other hand we mustn’t get complacent,” (example from Longman Language
Activator, p.165) we cannot interpret ‘on the other hand’ literally. There
is no literal hand. Nothing is ‘on’ anything. I am referring to another
thing, but it is a thought. Perhaps in some bygone century someone had a
reason for expressing contrast with this particular phrase. But today I have
difficulty understanding how a thought can be on a hand. So the meaning of
‘on the other hand’ is not the sum of the parts. Therefore it is what I
would call an ‘idiom’ (two or more words whose meaning is not the sum of
their parts and which function together semantically as a unit).

Some linguists only want to put morphemes in their dictionaries. Others only
want to put full words in as head words, relegating multi-word lexical items
to the status of “minor entries.” But when you think about it, there really
is no difference between derivatives, compounds, and lexical phrases (as to
their status as legitimate lexemes). All are composed of more than one
morpheme. Although there are derivatives and compounds whose meaning is the
sum of their parts, the tendency is for the meaning to be relatively
independent of the meaning of the parts. Either they gain secondary meanings
that are not the sum of the parts, or they drift in meaning. We are all
familiar with the secondary meanings of ‘runner’. The basic meaning ‘a
person who runs’ is the sum of the parts. But the meaning ‘a branch of a
vine’ is not. One could argue that ‘runner’ (a person who runs) is not a
lexeme. In fact some lexicographers will not bother defining derivatives
whose meaning is transparent. Some dictionaries merely add transparent
derivatives to the end of the entry for the root with no information about
the derivative. I have a dictionary that merely gives a long list of
derivatives that start with un- (unkind, unnecessary) and another list of
self- words (self-control, self-portrait). But this is really a matter of
practical lexicography rather than theoretical lexicology. Here again we
observe that language is a bit messy. There is a continuum from
non-idiomatic speech through semantically transparent complex forms to
highly idiomatic complex forms. So it is a judgment call to decide when a
particular form is frequent enough or conventionalized enough or
semantically idiomatic enough to warrant inclusion in the dictionary. My
personal opinion is that ‘on the other hand’ is frequent, conventionalized,
and semantically non-transparent and should therefore be granted the status
of ‘lexeme’ with all the rights and priviledges pertaining thereunto.

This discussion has been beneficial to me. It has helped to clarify my
thinking on several points, especially the relation of ‘invariant phrases’
to playful variants.

Ron Moe

p.s. Your list of sentence connectives all qualify as idiomatic lexical
phrases. They are frequent, conventionalized, and semantically
non-transparent.

p.p.s. My use of terms such as ‘lexical phrase’ ‘phrasal lexeme’
‘idiom(atic)’ and ‘multi-word lexical item’ is a bit fuzzy. A while ago I
asked this list for bibliographical references to the literature on lexical
phrases. I only got one reply (from Helge Gundersen—thank you). My guess is
that there is such a wide variety of lexical phrases that it is difficult to
categorize them or give precise definitions for specific terms such as
‘prefab’. But I need to do more research on this topic since it frequently
causes confusion and is of practical importance to us all.

   _____