[Lexicog] irreversible binominals

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Thu Feb 9 09:00:09 UTC 2006

Dear Filip,

Did you not see the response I gave to your message?

I said, the article by Y. Malkiel "Studies in irreversible binominals"
Lingua 8, 113-60. (1959) has been reprinted in Y. Malkiel (1968) Essays on
Linguistic Themes. Oxford: Blackwell. This volume is available to purchase
from amazon.co.uk. There are 2 copies on offer for £43.56 each. However, if
you don't want to purchase this book you might try a university library. It
is available for loan from the School of Oriental and African Studies
library in London, for example.

I also said that irreversible binominals are described and discussed in the
following works:

Angus Maciver (1983) First Aid in English. Revised Edition. Glasgow: Gibson
& Sons. p. 29. (called "Doubles")
Angus Maciver (1986) The New First Aid in English. Revised Edition. Glasgow:
Gibson & Sons. p. 119. (called "Doubles")
Randolph Quirk, et. al. (1985) A Comprehensive Grammar of The English
Language. London: Longman. pp. 971, 1487.
D. A. Cruse (1986) Lexical Semantics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
pp. 39-40, 47.
Howard Jackson (2002) Lexicography. An Introduction. London: Routledge. pp.
5, 86, 99.

To access these works without purchasing them you might also try a
university library.

John Roberts