[Lexicog] A folk-etymology

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Jun 2 07:11:20 UTC 2006

Someone a few days ago (pardon, I've forgotten who) mentioned the Spanish
word "paracaidas" ("parachute"), and etymologized the "para" as the
preposition meaning "for" ("caida" is "fall"), citing "paraguas" ("umbrella")
as a parallel ("for water").

I had always folk-etymologized the "para" part the same way myself, and just
happened to learn from a student recently that it is actually the verb
"parar" ("to stop, prevent, hinder"). Checking the online OED for "parachute",
I found that the "para" part here is from the same source, and the "chute" is
cognate with the Spanish "caida".

      Live and learn,

      Rudy Troike

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM