[Lexicog] Re: [FLEx]Re: How to make and change entries

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 16 09:36:50 UTC 2006

Ron,

Re. a cross-linguistic study of singular/plural grammatical number and
semantic count/mass distinctions, the only works I know of that come near
this are:

Greville Corbett (2000) Number. Cambridge University Press.
James Hurford (1987) Language and Number: Emergence of a Cognitive System.
Blackwell.

But I think the best account of how to handle the count/mass distinction
semantically is in an article available on the internet:

THE LEXICAL SEMANTICS OF ENGLISH COUNT AND MASS NOUNS
BRENDAN S. GILLON
Department of Linguistics, McGill University
http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/W/W96/W96-0307.pdf

The principles outlined here should have a universal application.

Re. how you handle homonyms in a dictionary, I believe we already discussed
this at one time. I said there are four different criteria you can use for
distinguishing homonyms and setting up dictionary entries. These are:
orthographic, grammatical, semantic and etymological (see below). Most
publishers of English dictionaries use the etymological criterion as the
main criterion. Some use the orthographic criterion. The grammatical
criterion is only usually used if there is also a difference in form. So
walk (n) and walk (v) are placed under the same entry but walk out (v) and
walker (n) would be under separate entries. Not many mainstream English
dictionaries use the semantic criterion, as far as I know.

John Roberts

----------

Orthographic. The orthographic organisational criterion places all homonyms
with the same written form under the same headword. Look up the word bow in
Chambers COBUILD. You will see that the two homonyms written this way above
are both included under the same headword as shown below, even though they
are pronounced differently.
bow /bɑʊ/  v. to bend your body forwards while standing in front of
someone. …
/boʊ/  n. a weapon for shooting arrows.

Grammatical. The grammatical organisational criterion places all homonyms of
the same grammatical word class under the same headword. When this is
applied to the English homonyms jump ‘to move quickly and suddenly up into
the air’ and jump ‘the act of jumping’, then we would set up two dictionary
entries of jump1 and jump2, because one is a verb and one is a noun. Even
though they both have a closely related meaning semantically, the fact that
they belong to different grammatical word classes means that they are
entered under separate headword entries.

jump1 v. to move quickly and suddenly up into the air.
jump2 n. the act of jumping.

Semantic. The semantic organisational criterion places all homonyms with the
same referential meaning under the same headword. When this is applied to
the English homonyms ball ‘a round object’ and ball ‘a dance’, then we set
up two dictionary entries of ball1 and ball2 because they have different
unrelated meanings. Even though they are both nouns and belong to the same
grammatical word class, the fact that they have different meanings means
that they are entered under separate headword entries.

ball1 n. a round object.
ball2 n. a dance.

Etymological. The etymological organisational criterion places all homonyms
with the same origin under the same headword. This is the criterion used in
traditional English dictionaries, such as Chambers and Webster’s. For
example, in the two entries below taken from Chambers it is not the fact
that bar1 has different senses nor different parts of speech that decides
the distinctiveness of bar4 as a separate entry but the distinction is made
on the basis that this word has a Greek origin rather than an Old French
origin.

bar1  n. a rod or strip of any solid substance …; a barrier, an
obstruction …; a public house …; v.t. to fasten, …
[Old French barre]
bar4  n. a unit used in expressing atmospheric pressure, e.g. millibar.
[Greek baros ‘weight’]