[Lexicog] Re: [FLEx]Re: How to make and change entries

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat Jun 17 20:48:45 UTC 2006

John Roberts wrote:
> Re. how you handle homonyms in a dictionary...
 > I said there are four different criteria you can use for
> distinguishing homonyms and setting up dictionary entries. These are:
> orthographic, grammatical, semantic and etymological (see below).

If I'm not mistaken, one of the design goals of FLEx (as it was with
LinguaLinks) is that these decisions can be made at the time of
publication, not at the time one builds the dictionary.  So in
principle, one could publish four dictionaries along the above lines
from a single lexical database (assuming you record the necessary
etymological info in your lexical DB--I'm not sure whether the model
actually allows for that).

As with all design goals, I'm not sure this has been completely achieved
yet...

   Mike Maxwell

http://us.click.yahoo.com/OzYcBA/bOaOAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM