[Lexicog] Re: Naming the Beautiful Game: Football or Soccer?

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 19 18:25:37 UTC 2006

Sure, John, reminds me of the comic song with the refrain

"The English the English the English are best
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest."

Well, if England is the mother country of modern*  football, others have
refined

the game (I'll send you something funny off-list, showing different football

tactics which confirm our stereotypes about each other).

Let's keep our eye on the ball,

Fritz

*Maybe we can start a discussion about what is "modern".

John Roberts wrote:

Thanks, Michael. And the British can do this too. See this website:

http://www.historic <http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/BestifBrits.htm>
-uk.com/CultureUK/BestifBrits.htm

... but I think we have taken our eye off the ball.