[Lexicog] Re: Naming the Beautiful Game: Football or Soccer?

Michael Nicholas mrnicholas007 at YAHOO.ES
Wed Jun 21 07:32:15 UTC 2006

Dear Fritz,
     I think the song in question mentions how brave and honest and intelligent and honourable we English are  - while underlining that our most typical trait is that most English of virtues - MODESTY.

   The point I wanted to make is that this soccer/football debate is about how language  community B gets language community A  speakers to refer to the achievements of  A  in the language of community B. The next step is for B speakers to use A language instead of their own language in certain situations - (See the Jaques Tati film The Holiday of M. Hulot(?))

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> escribió:
              Sure, John, reminds me of the comic song with the refrain
  “The English the English the English are best
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.”

  Well, if England is the mother country of modern*  football, others have refined
  the game (I’ll send you something funny off-list, showing different football
  tactics which confirm our stereotypes about each other).

  Let’s keep our eye on the ball,

  Fritz

  *Maybe we can start a discussion about what is “modern”.
        John Roberts wrote:
  Thanks, Michael. And the British can do this too. See this website:

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/BestifBrits.htm

... but I think we have taken our eye off the ball.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com