[Lexicog] Help with ToolBox

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at CENTRUM.CZ
Wed Mar 8 19:41:42 UTC 2006

Hi Kim

Thanks a lot for your kind reply. I did clarify most of the issues I have
been dealing with.

Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kim Blewett
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:57 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Help with ToolBox

Hi Jan, There are a couple other aspects to template styles in Word, from
Toolbox.

When Toolbox exports an MDF dictionary file, it automatically attaches a
template, as you know. There are several possible templates, depending on
what type of printout you want to have. If you define the styles the way you
want them in one of these templates, but then you select different export
options  in Toolbox--especially the choice of Audience: English or National,
it may attach a different template than the one in which you updated styles
last time.

You will find these templates in your Toolbox Settings folder. There are 4
files: mdf_e.dot (English-based defs), mdf_n.dot (national language-based
defs), and both of these with "Rtl" added to the filename, for languages
that read right-to-left.

You should be able to use the Organizer in Word to copy your modified styles
into the other template, if this is the problem you're dealing with.
This can be found on the Tools Menu: Click Templates and Add-ins. Click
Organizer, then click the Styles tab.

The other thing that may shed light on your problem is this: When Toolbox
opens your document in Word and tells Word to attach the template, the
setting, "Automatically update document styles", is turned on. This setting
remains on, which means that if you make changes in the document styles
(rather than the template styles), those changes will revert back to the
unchanged template style defs if you close the document (saving changes) and
then open it again. This is why you must save your style changes to the
template (or you can use the Organizer to copy your changed styles from your
document to its attached template).

If you do make changes to your document that don't need to be saved in the
template (one-time changes), you can click on "Templates and Add-ins" on the
Tools Menu, then uncheck the box for "Automatically update document styles."
This will apply to the current document only, and will cause any style
changes you've made to be saved the next time this document is opened. But
the next time you export from Toolbox the style defs from the MDF template
will be applied.

I hope this makes things a bit more clear rather than muddier...
Kim

Jan F. Ullrich wrote:

I am back to where I was with the saving problem, sort of.

While yesterday the style modifications were saved properly after copying

the styles into the template, today I it is not longer working.

I can, however, save the file as a template and that does save the

modifications. Does that mean that I have to keep the dictionary file saved

as a template all the time?

I understand that I can create a template I like and then associate it with

the export process in Toolbox in the MDF export proprieties dialog. But say

I still want to make and save changes to styles in the exported dialog - do

I have to save it as a template again?

I feel like I am missing something. I have been working with styles in Word

for years and I never encountered a problem with changes to style being

saved - even those I created myself. Is there something different about the

styles used by Toolbox? Or could there possibly be something wrong with my

Word and should I re-instal it?

I apologize if I am asking about something that is very obvious to other

users of Toolbox but I haven't been able to figure this issue out. If anyone

can shed more light on it, I'd be very grateful.

Jan