[Lexicog] Sort order problem

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 9 03:32:51 UTC 2006

Greg, I have installed Toolbox, but continue to use Shoebox out of habit. I assume that Toolbox uses a similar, if not the same, menu for what characters to ignore when sorting.

Try this:

Click on Project / Language encodings

Highlight name of vernacular language

Click on Sort orders / Modify

Then look at the last window in the lower right of the menu screen, for Ignore characters. Now, I don't know if you can simply type in a <space> with your keyboard space bar as you can for other characters (I have mine ignore the "-" sign for morpheme breaks), or if you need to encode <space> as a hex code or Unicode character, or whatever. I'm sure that Steve White or someone else more familiar with Shoebox and Toolbox can help with that.

I do almost everything in Lexique Pro these days so I hardly ever touch Shoebox (or Toolbox). There is a Configuration Wizard in Lexique Pro which allows you to specify sort order. I'll bcc Richard Margetts, programmer for Lexique Pro, to see if a <space> can be entered into the Sort order as a character to be ignored.

Best wishes,
Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language

  Dear Lexicographers,

  I want afuafugogo to be sorted before the string afuafu ni marae by Toolbox. That is, I want Toolbox to ignore the spaces and sort the string as  afuafunimarae. I do not want to actually remove the spaces. Is there some way of getting Toolbox to ignore spaces when sorting?

  Regards, Greg