[Lexicog] Sort order problem

Greg and Heather Mellow gh_mellow at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 9 05:09:56 UTC 2006

Wayne,

I have not gotten either Toolbox or LexiquePro to ignore spaces. However I am also interested in understanding the rationale for adopting a given sort order.

I assume Toolbox and LexiquePro users usually sort with spaces sorted to the top of the list.
Thus the order: child, child care, child restraint, childish, children.
This rationale is that entries involving the simplest form of the word take precedence over others.

I have been advised to sort ignoring the space.
Thus the sort order: child, child care, childish, children, child restraint.
The rationale for this order is that it is strictly alphabetical.

Another possibility is too sort with the space at the bottom.
Thus the sort order: child, childish, children, child care, child restraint.
The rationale for this order is that all morphological forms of the head word take precedence over phrasal forms.

Is there a preferred rationale and sort order in the world of lexicography?

Regards, Greg
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wayne Leman
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:32 PM
  Subject: [Lexicog] Sort order problem

  Greg, I have installed Toolbox, but continue to use Shoebox out of habit. I assume that Toolbox uses a similar, if not the same, menu for what characters to ignore when sorting.

  Try this:

  Click on Project / Language encodings

  Highlight name of vernacular language

  Click on Sort orders / Modify

  Then look at the last window in the lower right of the menu screen, for Ignore characters. Now, I don't know if you can simply type in a <space> with your keyboard space bar as you can for other characters (I have mine ignore the "-" sign for morpheme breaks), or if you need to encode <space> as a hex code or Unicode character, or whatever. I'm sure that Steve White or someone else more familiar with Shoebox and Toolbox can help with that.

  I do almost everything in Lexique Pro these days so I hardly ever touch Shoebox (or Toolbox). There is a Configuration Wizard in Lexique Pro which allows you to specify sort order. I'll bcc Richard Margetts, programmer for Lexique Pro, to see if a <space> can be entered into the Sort order as a character to be ignored.

  Best wishes,
  Wayne
  -----
  Wayne Leman
  Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language

    Dear Lexicographers,

    I want afuafugogo to be sorted before the string afuafu ni marae by Toolbox. That is, I want Toolbox to ignore the spaces and sort the string as  afuafunimarae. I do not want to actually remove the spaces. Is there some way of getting Toolbox to ignore spaces when sorting?

    Regards, Greg