[Lexicog] Sort order problem

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 9 06:23:27 UTC 2006

Greg, FWIW, I don't know if there is any lexicographical rationale for computer sort orders, such as having <space> float to the top. There's probably some rationale, but whatever it is comes from computer people. As you probably know, having <space> and punctuation marks and number before letters is what is called an ASCII sort, which just refers to the default way that computers sort. Of course, they have been programmed to sort that way. (Side thought: If people stopping programming that way for computers, they would be out of sorts, so to speak, of course!!)

I'm just glad that we can modify sort orders as much as we can with some lexicography programs. It would be too bad if we always had to accept whatever order computer sorted words into.

I'm not out of sorts now, but out of time,
it's time to hit the sack,
Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language
  Wayne,

  I have not gotten either Toolbox or LexiquePro to ignore spaces. However I am also interested in understanding the rationale for adopting a given sort order.

  I assume Toolbox and LexiquePro users usually sort with spaces sorted to the top of the list.
  Thus the order: child, child care, child restraint, childish, children.
  This rationale is that entries involving the simplest form of the word take precedence over others.

  I have been advised to sort ignoring the space.
  Thus the sort order: child, child care, childish, children, child restraint.
  The rationale for this order is that it is strictly alphabetical.

  Another possibility is too sort with the space at the bottom.
  Thus the sort order: child, childish, children, child care, child restraint.
  The rationale for this order is that all morphological forms of the head word take precedence over phrasal forms.

  Is there a preferred rationale and sort order in the world of lexicography?

  Regards, Greg