[Lexicog] Sort order problem

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 9 16:15:56 UTC 2006

David's suggestion (below) is sometimes the only way to get a database to sort in a desired order. For instance in some Bantu languages we want to sort nouns by their citation form which includes an inflectional prefix (e.g. muntu [from mu- 'CLASS 1' + ntu 'person']). But we want to sort verbs by their stem form, ignoring the inflectional prefix in the citation form (e.g. kwona [from ku- 'INFINITIVE' + on 'see' + -a 'FINAL VOWEL']). So muntu sorts under M and kwona sorts under O. There is no easy way to achieve this result without setting up a sort field in which you would place 'muntu' and 'ona':

\lx ntu
\lc muntu
\sort muntu

\lx on
\lc kwona
\sort ona

We then sort on the \sort field when we export the file for printing.

So when all else fails, set up a sort field and tweak it until you get the desired result.

Ron Moe