[Lexicog] a question about profession

Andrew Dunbar hippytrail at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 18 22:32:39 UTC 2006

I'm an armchair linguist with no degree or university education. I've
worked as a printer, a computer programmer, and a backpacker hostel
receptionist.

But I've always been interested in languages and dictionaries. I had
the idea for an open dictionary of all languages created by everybody
over the internet at least 5 years ago. About 2 years ago I discovered
that Wikipedia had given birth to Wiktionary
(http://en.wiktionary.org). I've been contributing to it and fighting
for various ways of doing things there. At the moment I've been
travelling in Mexico and Central America for over 7 months. In this
time I've been collecting unusual Spanish words and trying to learn a
bit about some of the indigenous languages.

I joined this list to find a place to talk to real lexicographers in
the hope that it would provide some guidance as to how to handle many
issues on Wiktionary since none of us there has any other training or
experience. One of the problems has been how to deal with the various
kinds of fixed phrases. I believe the way they are currently handled
on Wiktionary is one of its many failings.

Andrew Dunbar, Juayúa, El Salvador