[Lexicog] new research

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sun Mar 19 01:44:09 UTC 2006

ali72678 wrote:
> i am ali and i want to study the lexicographical development in URDU.
> what should i do to take the plunge?

I would say one of the first things is to find out what is already going
on in Urdu lexicography.  I presume you know about the Wiktionary
(http://www.wiktionary.org/), although that doesn't appear to have
progressed very far in the case of Urdu.

You should definitely check into the work that Dr. Sarmad Hussein is
leading at CRULP, including an on-line dictionary at
http://www.crulp.org/oud.  The last time I looked, this dictionary
required a username and password for access.  There is probably contact
information at the website.

The University of Chicago also has some projects with South Asian
dictionaries, mostly old ones (out of copyright), see
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/platts/ and
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/shakespear/ for example.

Some other on-line Urdu dictionaries that I know of are
http://biphost.spray.se/tracker/dict/index.html,
http://www.urduword.com/Home/index.cgi,
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/multifilestores/lexicon0405/$File/lexicon0405ur.P
(this last a lexicon of beauraucratese), http://urduseek.com/,
http://messene.nmsu.edu:8082/dictionaries/download.php?lang=Urdu, and
http://www21.brinkster.com/urdudict/.

Given that Hindi is closely related to Urdu, one might explore expanding
an Urdu dictionary using a Hindi dictionary.  Of course you have to be
careful, because the largest difference between Hindi and Urdu is
precisely in their vocabulary (aside of course from their writing systems).

The Linguistic Data Consortium is working on a project to gather texts,
lexicons etc. of Urdu.  I believe--but am not sure--that they are
working with the above-mentioned Dr. Hussein.

Given that Urdu is a well-studied language, you should probably also get
in touch with people who teach it or do research on it, perhaps taking
some courses at the university level, so as to get a handle on issues
like morphology.  I don't know whether you live in Pakistan or
elsewhere, so it's hard to make any recommendations.

Be prepared to deal with character encoding issues, although this tends
either to be much worse than with Hindi (some Urdu web pages I've seen
have essentially been gifs, with no character-encoded data whatsoever),
or much better (Urdu largely lacks the deplorable multi-encoding problem
of Hindi: if you find Urdu text on-line, it's likely to be Unicode).

Good luck!

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL, U of Maryland