[Lexicog] Prototypical "white"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri May 12 16:40:10 UTC 2006

As we are discussing prototypes at the moment, here is another
example which I discussed last week with my students coming
from 4 different countries south of the Sahara (black Africa).
I asked them whom they would consider a "white (person)" (un blanc).
To my surprize all of them answered: Caucasians, Arabs, Chinese and
mestizos. Well, I, a German, do not consider myself a Chinese, but
I can accept to be classed with Chinese, Arabs and mestizos as white.

Any comments on "whiteness" from "your" point of view?